CURRICULUM VITAE of
Name: Mary Cecilia
Address: West Mill, Fullerton Road,
Wherwell, Hampshire SP11 7JS.
Born: 16.6.41 at Houghton-le-Spring,
1959 Genner Exhibition to Annes
1959-63 BA Hons in Literae
Humaniores, (1)University of Oxford, (Upper Second).
1965 MA (Oxon).
1973-4 Diploma in Pastoral Catechetics,
Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.
1974-77 MA in Religious Studies and STB in
Theology, University of Louvain, Belgium - Magna cum Laude.
1987 Ph.D in Theology, Louvain , Belgium -
Summa cum Laude.
1963-65 St Marys Convent
Grammar School, Middlesborough- Classics and Religious Education.
1966 St Marys Convent Grammar School,
Middlesborough: English Literature and Religious Education.
1974-79 British School of Brussels,
- Teacher of RE;
- Tutor in Pastoral Theology and Adult Education in
- Lecturing and seminar work with European ecumenical networks.
1980 Haberdashers Aske, Teacher of
1980-89 St Marys College of Higher
Education, Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, (University of Surrey), Department of
- Lecturer in Theology with responsibility for Philosophy of
Religion and Sacramental Theology. Also taught courses in Systematic Theology
and Christian Ethics, specialising in Feminist Ethics, sexual ethics, Racial
Justice and Black Theology; post-graduate in-service courses in Systematic
Theology and Liberation Theology;
- post-graduate summer Schools for new directions in Religious
- in-service courses for teachers in Feminist Theology.
1988-1993 Catholic University of Nijmegen,
- Professor of Feminism and Christianity, Department of
- Guest Lecturer, Katholieke Leergang, Tilburg, The Netherlands.
- Seeking New Models of Redemption in Feminist Theology;
- Feminist Theology and Process Thought;
- Revelation and Experience from a Feminist Perspective of
- The Dark Knowing of Morgan-le-Fay: Women, Evil and
- Women- Whom do you say that I am? Is a Feminist Christology
- "Till we have Faces": Feminist Theology and the Future of
- Towards an Ecological Theology of Church.
1993-97 Professor of Contemporary Theology,
University of Southampton, based at La Sainte Union College.
2001 Scholar-in-Residence, Sarum College, Salisbury;
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton.
September 1998-2000: Honorary Professor,
University of Wales, St Davids, Lampeter.
1998 April-June Alexander Robertson
Lecturer, University of Glasgow.
1999 July. Guest Lecturer, Gradate theology
Programme, St Michaels College, Vermont, USA.
From 2000 October 1st to present
- D.J.James Professor of Pastoral Theology, University of Wales,
2002 Honorary Fellow of Sarum College,
1983 In Search of the Sacred: Sacraments and
Parish Renewal. Wheathampstead, Anthony Clarke.
1987 Christian Feminist Spirituality of
Redemption as Mutuality- in- Relation, (Doctoral Thesis, University of
1989 Redeeming the Dream: Feminism, Redemption
and Christian Tradition, London, SPCK. (USA Edition: Twenty Third
Publications, Mystic, Conn., 1990; Dutch edn., De Verlossing van de
Droom, Kampen, Kok, 1991).
1991 From Barriers to Community: the Challenge
of the Gospel for a Divided Society, (London, Harper Collins).
1993 The Wisdom of Fools? Seeking Revelation
for Today, (London, SPCK) Short-listed for Harper Collins Religious Book
1997 a Prophecy and Mysticism: The Heart of the
Post-modern Church, Edinburgh, (T.& T. Clark).
1997 b Beyond the Dark Night- a Way forward for
the Church? (London, Cassell).
2000 The Outrageous Pursuit of Hope - Prophetic
Dreams for the 21st Century, (London: Darton, Longman and
2001 Feminist Images of the Divine,
(Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press).
2003 Sacred Longings: Ecofeminist theology and
Globalisation, (London: The SCM Press)
2004 The Unheard Scream- the Struggles of Dalit
Women in India, (New Delhi: centre for Dalit studies).
PUBLICATIONS 2. CHAPTERS IN
- "The Dark Knowing of Morgan Le Fay": Women, Evil and
Theodicy", in Womens Voices: Essays in Contemporary Feminist
Theology, ed., Teresa Elwes, Marshall Pickering, pp.111-130.
- "De uitdaging van Heloise: Taal, Waarheid en Logica
Feministisch Her-zien", in De Moelijke Waarheid, ed.,
K.Merks,Baarn,Ambo,pp.36-44.(Eng, version "Heloise, Abelard and the Logic of
Truth" in New Blackfriars)
- "Devouring Mother or Wounded Healer? Liberating New Models of
Caring in Feminist Theology" in Pastoral Care and Context, ed., Otto
Stange, Amsterdam, VU University Press, pp. 81-98. "God en Schuld" in Denken
naar God toe, ed., Frans Vosman, Baarn, Gooi en Sticht, pp.39-50.
- "Een nieuwe hemel en een nieuwe aarde", in Hoop en
Opstanding: Feestbundel van Herman-Emiel Mertens, George Schrijver ed.,
(Leuven, Acco), pp.185-194.
- "Women, Theology and the Embodiment of Truth" in Public
Bodies, Private States, eds., Brettle and Rice, Manchester University
- "Women in the Churches of Europe", in Religion in
Europe, eds., Ursula King, et al., (Kampen, Kok Pharos).
- " Ethics of connection or Politics of Difference? A Dilemma for
Feminist Identity",in Whos Afraid of Femininity? Questions of
Identity, Kampen, Kok Pharos, pp.105-113.
- "Where does the Wild Goose Fly to? Seeking a New Theology of
Spirit for Feminist Theology", in Die Weiblichkeit des Heiligen Geistes,
Studien zur Feministischen Theologie, ed., Elisabeth Moltmann
Wendel,Gutersloh, Kaiserverlag, pp.137-146
- "Woman - Insider/Outsider" in The New Europe, ed.,
Jurjen Wiersma, (Kampen, Kok, Pharos).
- "Héloise, Eros and the Eco-Justice of God," in
Abschied vom Männer Gott, ed., Johanna Jager-Sommer, Luzern,
Edition Exodus, pp.245-261. (Dutch version: Héloise, Eros en de
Ecogerechtigheid van God", Theologische Essays voor Catherine
- "Beyond Exclusion: Towards a Feminist Ecclesiology", in The
Candles are still Burning, eds., Mary Grey, Andrée Heaton, Danny
Sullivan, London, Geoffrey Chapman.
- "Sapiential Yearnings- The Challenge of Feminist Theology to
Religious Education" in Christian Theology and Religious Education,
eds., Jeff Astley and Leslie Francis, (London, SPCK).
- "Feminist Images of Redemption in Education" in Theological
Perspectives on Christian Formation, eds., Jeff Astley, Leslie Francis,
Colin Crowder, (Michigan, Eerdmans): pp.216-226.
- "All about Eve" in Intimate Connections, ed.,
Martyn Percy, (London, Darton, Longman and Todd), pp.86-94.
- "Women, Whom do You say that I am? Feminist Liberation Theology
and Images of Christ" in Images of Christ, ed. Stanley Porter,
(Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press).
- "Empowered to Lead: Sophias Daughters blaze a Trail"
in Cymbals and Silences: Echoes from the First European Womens
Synod, (London, Sophia Press) pp.91-106.
- "Disturbing the Wise- or the Wisdom of the Disturbed?
Liberating Truth and Theological Education" in Where shallWisdom be
found? ed., Stephen Barton, (Edinburgh, T.&T.Clark),pp. 335-348.
- "Christian Theology, Spirituality and the Curriculum" in
Spirituality and the Curriculum, ed., Adrian Thatcher. (London:
Cassell), pp. 12-32.
- "Feminist Theology - a Critical Theology of Liberation, "in
The Cambridge Companion to Liberation Theology, (Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press), pp. 89-106.
2000 - 2001
- "Women and Sexuality" in Embracing Sexuality, ed. Joseph
Selling (Aldershot: Ashgate, pp.)
- "Till we have faces" in In Being: The Winton Lectures, (
King Alfreds Winchester)
- "A Theology for the Bearers of Dangerous Memory" in Truth
and Memory eds., Michael A. Hayes and David Tombs (Leominster: Gracewing
2001), pp.161-174.Truth and Memory eds., Michael A. Hayes and David
Tombs (Leominster: Gracewing 2001), pp.161-174.
- " Created in the Image: the Broken, Suffering Body of the
Church" in Jean Maitland ed., Growing into God, (London:
CTBI), pp. 223-234.
- How shall we live without our Dreams? In Theology and Public
Policy for the 21st Century, ed., Andrew Morton, (Edinburgh:
PUBLICATION S 3. EDITED WORKS
1994 Ecofeminism and Theology, Yearbook of the European
Society of Women in Theological Research, Vol II (with Elizabeth Green),
(Mainz: Grunewald, Kampen:Kok)
1994-6 Theology in Green.
1994 Reclaiming Vision: Proceedings of the First Summer
School, LSU, Southampton.
1995 The Candles are Still Burning: Essays in Honour of
Christianne Brusselmans, (London, Geoffrey Chapman), with Andrée
Heaton and Danny Sullivan.
1996 Women Resisting Violence- A Spirituality for life,
(Maryknoll, Orbis), with Mary John Mananzan, Mercy Oduyoye et al.
1996 Liberating Vision:
Proceedings of the Second Summer School,
1997-2001 Ecotheology, (successor to Theology in
Green), Sheffield Academic Press.
Introducing Feminist Theology series, Vols 15, (with Lisa
Isherwood, Janet Wootton), Sheffield Academic Press, (date of publication, July
( a selection from, as these are
1983 "The Catechumenate and the French Experience" in
New Review, Vol.1, nr.3, pp.14-15.
Chagall and the Feast of Fools: Fantasy and Liturgical Celebration" in
New Review, Vol 3, nr.2, pp.30-32.
1986 " God, Feminism and
Sexuality" in Religious Life Review, Vol.25, (May-June),
1987 "Liturgy and
Justice- a Need for Education" in Celebrating One World, CAFOD, /St Thomas More
"Weaving New Connections: The Promise of Feminist Process
Thought for Christian Theology", Inaugural Lecture, Catholic University
"Naar Nieuwe Verbondenheid: Feministisch Proces Denken als
Belofte voor Theologie", in Tijdschrift voor Theologie, Vol 29, nr.2,
"Feminist Images of Redemption in Education" in British
Journal of Education, Vol 12., 1, pp.20-28.
"Reclaiming Mary - a Task for Feminist Theology", in The
Way, Vol.29, nr.4, pp.334-340.
- "Women and Sin", in The Tablet, 17th March,
- "A Time to mourn -a Time to Laugh": Carnival as Challenge to
Jewish-Christian dialogue" in The Month, Vol.CCLI, nr.
- "No Entry for Aquinass Angelicae!" in The Catholic
Herald, June 29th, p.5.
- "The Core of our Desire- Re-imaging the Trinity in Feminist
Theology," in Theology, Vo.XCII, nr.755,pp.363-372.
- "Waar Vliegt de Wilde Gans naartoe? Op Zoek naar een nieuwe
Theologie van de Geest voor Feministische Theologie, in Schrift 130,
- "Een Bevrijdende visie op het Kruis ?" in De Bazuin,
Vol. 73, nr.36, pp.305.
- "Listeren naar andere Stemmen - Een Bevrijding voor de Kerk",
The Bazuin Lecture 1990, De Bazuin, Uitgeverij Impress.
- "Where does the Wild Goose fly too ? Seeking a New
Theology of Spirit for Feminist Theology," in New Blackfriars, Vol.72,
nr. 846, pp.86-96.
- "Van Verdeling naar Verbeelding: De Bijdrage van Vrouwen aan de
Hervorming van Europa" in Mara (Amsterdam), Vo.4,nr.2, pp.10-20.
- "Claiming Power-in-Relation - but with Whom? The Challenge of
the Ethics of Connection", in Journal of Feminist Studies of Religion,
Vol.7, nr.1, pp.7-18. (Also published in Thatcher and Stuart eds., A
Reader in Sexual Ethics, Fowler Wright, 1996).
- "Has Feminist Theology a Vision for Christian Church?" in
Louvain Studies, vol.15, nr.1, pp.27-40.
- "Yet Women will Be Saved by Bearing Children: Motherhood and
the Possibility of a contemporary Discourse for Women," in Bijdragen,
(Tijdschrift voor Filosofie en Theologie), Vol.52, pp.58-69.
- "Womens Spirituality - a Lost Dimension?" in
Signum, Vol.19,nr.4, pp.1-16.
- "Moet Eva nog Schuldig Blijven?" Review Article in Mara,
- "Till We Have Faces" - Europe as a Sexist
Myth in Concilium, nr.2.
- "She Will be a Great Man!" - Christian Feminism and Missiology,
in International Review of Mission, April.
- "Drinking from our Own Wells - Feminist Theology and Ministry"
in Signum, September.
- ""The Synod of Whitby Re-visited" - a play, in
Interchange: Journal of Creation spirituality, Winter issue.
- "Feminist Theology and the Embodiment of Truth" in The
Month, Vol.25, nr.12, pp.485-490.
- "Feminism, Religion and Public Life - Leaven for a New
Culture ?" in International Minds, Vol.4, 1, Spring.
- "Upheavals and Change in E.Europe- and its Reflection in
Feminist Theology: a dialogue, " in Jahrbuch der Europaischen Gesellschaft
fur Theologische Forschung von Frauen, Vol.1.
- "Ist der Dialog eine epistemologische Voraussetzung fur die
Findung der Wahrheit, in Okumenische Rundschau, Vol.42, nr.2, April,
- "Falling into Freedom - New Images of Sin in Contemporary
Society" in Scottish Journal of Theology, Vol.47,pp.223-244.
- "Liberation Theology and the Bearers of Dangerous Memory" in
New Blackfriars, Vol 75., No.887, November, pp.512-523.
- "Feminist Theology - Late Arrival or Changeling in the
Academy?" in Louvain Studies, vol.18, pp.318-332.
- "Method in Feminist Theology" in Feminist Theology ,
- "The Silence of God in the Face of Evil", I, in Doctrine and
Life, Vol.46, February.
- "The Silence of God in the Face of Evil", II, in Doctrine
- "Jesus, Guru of Individualism - or Communitys Heart?" in
Concilium 1/159, pp.121-128. (English version).
- "Listening to the Disinherited" in Priests and People,
- "Violence against Women - Weep not for me, but for yourselves
and for your Children" in Concilium, December.
- "The Decline and Fall of the Second Millennium: final Chapter
or New Beginning for Christianity? - " in New Blackfriars Vol.79,
No.931, September, pp. 364-376
- "Tragedy in Feminist theology - an End to Absolutes?" in
Bulletin of the European Society for Catholic Theology, Vol 10, Nr.1,
1999, pp. 43-54.
- "The Praxis of Resurrection - Literature and Feminist Quest,"
in British Journal of Religious Education, Vol. 21: 2, pp. 112-120
- "Expelled again from Eden- Facing Difference through
connection," in Feminist Theology, no 21., May, pp. 8-20.
- "Journey to Spirituality: Making the Connections", in
Feminist Theology, No.29, January.
- "Transfigured Existence and the Recovery of the Dream," in
The Way, Vol.40, No.1, January.
- "Me and My Faith," in The Tablet,
- "Ecofeminism and Theology," in The Furrow,
- Review, Still flowing- Women, God and Church, by Gillian
Paterson in Priests and People, Aug/Sept 2000, Vol. 14, no. 8,9,p. 352.
- "Images of God" in Concilium;
- Response to Tim Gorringe in Journal of Political Theology;
- "Women and Globalisation" in CIIR Journal.
- "Must we Live without our dreams: Believing in the Future from
the Ashes of the second Millennium, in The End of Liberation: Liberation in
the End, Jahrbuch der Europäischen Gesellschaft fur theologische
Forschung von Frauen, eds. Angela Berlis and Charlotte Methuen, Vol 10,
February "Weaving New Connections: The Promise of Feminist Process
Thought for Christian Theology", Inaugural Lecture, Chair: Feminisme en
Christendom, University of Nijmegen.
April. Holy Week Sermons, All Saints Church of England, Wokingham,
April. "The Core of our Desire: Re-imaging Trinity", Lustrum
Congress, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
- "The Dynamics of Just Connection: A Feminist Theological
Approach", Consultation: Community of Women and Men in the Church,
- "Freedom for Women- Fact or Fiction? A Theological
Perspective", International Conference for Christians and Jews,
Womens Seminar, Lille, France. (Published in Bulletin of the Martin Buber
House, nr.26, pp.104-116).
"Augustine and the Heritage of Guilt" at the Conference of
Catholic Theological Association of Great Britain, Leeds.
" Living the Sacrifice: the Rejection of the Divine Feminine in
the work of Julia Kristeva", University of Nijmegen, Symposium on
"Claiming Power-in Relation - but with Whom?" Lecture at AGM of
Women in Theology and Catholic Womens Network, London.
January "Redeeming the Dream of Creation", Lecture, Renew
March. "A Time to Weep. A Time to Laugh: Carnival as Challenge to
Jewish-Christian dialogue", Cardinal Bea Memorial Lecture, Westminster
June "The Eucharist and the Festival of Human Liberation",
Salisbury Cathedral Liturgical Festival, Return of the Angels.
July. "From Division to Vision: Keynote Lecture,
European Ecumenical Forum of Women, University of York.
August. "Commitment, Freedom and Transformation - in an Ethic of
Connection", International Grail Movement, Amsterdam.
November. The Bazuin Lecture, Dominican Church, Amsterdam:
"Listening to Other Voices- A Liberation for the Church?".
Feminist Theology", Conference of Reformed Pastors, Driebergen-Zeist, the
January "Womens Spirituality - a Lost Dimension?"
Conference of The National Retreat Movement, London.
February "Ethics of connection - or Politics of Difference?
Interdisciplinary conference, "Whos Afraid of Femininity?"
University of Nijmegen.
"God and Guilt". Lecture, St Thomas More Academy,
"Exploring the Ethics of Connection", Lecture Begeleiding Centrum
Voor Vrouwen, Eindhoven.
"Women and the Dream of Creation", Lecture at Interfaith
Seminar, Westminster Diocese, London. (Also co-ordinated the seminar).
April. "Ethics of Connection": Presentation at Feminist
Theology Seminar, University of Cambridge, Society for the Study of
"Charity or Right Relation?" Theological Consultation,
Project, Bijstandsvrouwen, Utrecht.
"Falling into Freedom -Images of Sin in Contemporary Society",
Society for the Study of Theology Conference, University of Utrecht.
"From Cultures of Silence to Cosmic-Justice-making: A Way forward
for Theology?" Inaugural Lecture, University of Southampton, October
November. Panel: Feminist Liberation Theology and Violence Against
Women, American Academy of Religion, Chicago.
December. "The Shaking of the Foundations -Again! Culture and The
Future of Theology", The Von Hugel Lecture, University of Cambridge
* Dialogue: A Spirituality for Life: Women Struggling against Global
Violence, San Jose, Costa Rica, at the invitation of the Ecumenical
Association of Third World Theologians.(Also co-ordinated the European
February. "A Vanished Integrity? Epiphanies of Grace in a
Fragmented World", The First Anne Spencer Memorial Lecture, St
Pauls Church, Bristol.
"The Dark night of the Church- Seeking an
Ecclesiology of Hope", Open Synod Conference, Salisbury.
March. "Women, whom Do You Say that I am ?" Lecture, Divinity
School, University of Oxford.
"The Shaking of the Foundations -Again!"
St Thomas Aquinas Feast Day Lecture, University of Louvain, Belgium.
April. "Creation and Liberation in the Writings of Hildegarde of
Bingen", International Hildegarde Network, King Alfreds College,
May. "Silence in Heaven: Where is God in the Face of Disaster?"
Irish Theological Association, Dublin.
"Come Holy Spirit", The Academic
Sermon, University of Oxford.
June. "Till We Have Faces: Feminist Theology as Culture Critique
of the New Europe", Winton Lecture, King Alfreds College, Winchester.
July. "Feminist Theology and the Re-Formation of Europe", Annual
MTh Lecture, Westminster College, Oxford.
August. "Redeeming Gods Dream in todays World,"(4
Lectures), Northumbria Summer School", MinsterAcres, Northumberland.
February. "Women, Whom Do You Say that I Am?" Lecture,"Images
of Christ -Ancient and Modern, Conference, London, Roehampton Institute
April. Sermon: "Threatened with Resurrection", St Andrews
May. "Phoebes Children in Confusion": Lecture, Dorset
Study Group on Womens Ordination
July. "Empowered by a Vulnerable God: Sophias Daughters
Blaze a Trail", Keynote Lecture, European Womens Synod,
Gmünden, Austria September.
"Whither Feminist Theology? Approaching
the Millennium", Websters Lecture, London.
October. Guest Lecture: University of Lund, Sweden: "The Roots and
Wings of a Relational Theology".
November. "Weep not for me but for yourselves and for your
Children", Lecture: Mill Hill Institute, London.
December 2nd-7th. Scottish Journal of
Theology Lecture Series: "Gather the Fragments; The Prophetic and Mystical
Heart of Community". (University of Aberdeen, Scotland).
December 7th. "A Vulnerable God", Lecture, Catholic
Womens Network, Edinburgh.
December 13th. " Theology, Spirituality and the
Curriculum," Church Colleges Symposium, Engaging the Curriculum,LSU,
January. "How can University Education Empower Poor women?"
Seminar: University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India.
March. "The Roots and Wings of Green Theology", Radical
Theology series, Mansfield College, University of Oxford.
April. Lecture: University of Durham, "Where Shall Wisdom be
July. "A Theology of Connectedness", (Montgomery
Lecture),Interfaith Centre, Ipswich.
"An Ecological Theology of
Church", The Keene Lecture, Chelmsford Cathedral, Chelmsford.
August. "New Directions in Theological Education", Degree
Ceremony, Southern Dioceses Ministry, St Thomass Church, Salisbury.
September. "The Other as Mystery,"Jewish-Christian dialogue,
October. Response to Tissa Balasuriya, St Martin in the Fields,
"God and Time", Wey Institute Lecture, Guildford.
Turbin Memorial Lecture, Crewe. God and Vulnerability
November. Chaplaincy Lecture, University of Brighton.
February. Wisdom and Prophecy - Where are they Found?
Lecture to AGM of Justice and Peace commission, Diocese of Brentwood. March
"Community and Salvation -From Holy Well to Holy Waitrose," Lincoln Theological
"The Return of Sophia- Feminist Theologys Challenge to
Theological Education", Chaplaincy Lecture, Roehampton Institute.
Consultation: Kairos Europa, Heidelberg, Germany
April. Biblical input at Industrial Chaplains Conference,
July. Led a weeks course on "Beyond the Dark Night" for the
Iona communitys summer Programme.
January. "God the Father in the context of Caribbean Theology,"
Conference of Catholic Theologians on the Island of st Vincent, the
- Lecture/Seminars to Womens Theological Groups,
- "New Developments in Contemporary Theology", Lecture to
Seminarians, Bombay Diocesan Seminary.
- Gandhi and Womens Spirituality, Lecture to Womens
Studies Dept, University of Bombay.
May. "Womens Ordination -Seeking a New Approach," Catholic
Womens Ordination, (CWO), AGM.
July. Womens Jewish - Christian Dialogue, Kiev, The Ukraine:
Destruction and Renewal - led Dialogue.
August. Lecture: "A Cow for Martha - a Computer for Hilary:
Womens Visions of economy and Spirituality," European Womens
September. "Nourishing the Spirit- Grace and Resources in
Theological Education," Lectures at ACATE Conference, Ushaw College, Durham.
Also led day before for Womens Group: "Discovering Sophia in the Ruins of
the Patriarchal Paradise".
Lecture to the Diocese of Leicester clergy,
"Spirit, Science and society".
- Rome, SEDOS Institute. Lecture: "Women and Creation - Re-
imagining the Heart of Ecclesia".
- Lecture to the Diocese of Gloucester Clergy, "A Passion for
community- Holding on to Hope in apocalyptic times."(Swanwick).
- United Nations Day Sermon at St Nicholas Church, Harpenden.
November. Course on Ecospirituality at Wimborne, Dorset (4
December. "Women, Poverty and Liberation in Rural Rajasthan",
Postgraduate seminar at the University of Edinburgh.
February. Lecture: "Ecofeminism and Christian Theology," Newman
College, Birmingham - Conference of bishops committee on the environment.
- Lenten Lecture, the Diocese of Winchester, "Where Goes
- "The Female Experience of Sexuality". Paper given at
Authority and Sexuality symposium, Sarum College/Queens College,
- "A Theology for the Bearers of Dangerous Memory", Truth and
Memory Conference, Roehampton, University of Surrey.
September: Led Study week at Iona Abbey, Scotland.
April: Led Easter Programme at Holy Rood House, Centre for
Theology and Health, Thirske.
Examination boards/ Doctoral
supervision (Recent Experience)
From September 1988- May1993:
Supervising and co-supervising doctoral theses at the University
of Nijmegen, Amsterdam and Groningen, The Netherlands.
- University of Exeter, College of St Mark and St John: External
examiner of MA in Christian Theology of Education.
- Westminster College, Oxford - External examiner for B.Th.
supervising M.Phil/Ph.D students registered at the University of
PHD supervisions, University of Wales.
For the last 8 years I have acted as external examiner for Ph.D
students across diverse institutions.
Administrative Experience from 1990
1989-1991. President, European Society of Women in Theological
Research. Currently co-ordinator of the Subject Group in Liberation Theology.
19947. Director, Centre for Contemporary Theology,
University of Southampton, LSU.
1990-94. Preparatory work for dialogue with Third World
Theologians at Costa Rica, where I co-ordinated the European response.
Sept.1993-4. Member of Executive, Catholic Institute of
Sept.1994-7. Chair, University of Southampton School of Theology
and Religion. Concurrently member of Board of Studies of STETS, (Southern
Diocese Theological and Education Training Scheme).
Sept.97 2000. Member of Sarum College Council.
From 1987. Co-Founder and Trustee, Wells for India.
Member of Advisory Boards: Concilium, Theology and
Sexuality, Louvain Studies, Journal of Theological Education
Member of Catholic Theologians Association, European Catholic
theologians, Society for the Study of Theology.
Patron of BISFT, European Womens College.
I am married to Dr Nicholas Grey and we have four children, Clare,
Eleanor, Stephen and Benedict. In 1987 we founded the charity Wells for
India, which focuses on bringing water to a drought-stricken area of the
Indian desert. We visit regularly and I have been able to link with women
scholars in different parts of India. My interests are hill-walking, local
history, writing poetry, exploring old Churches and playing the violin.